Photo of the week

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Every day we learn something new (Not everything is bigger in Texas)

So here’s the deal . . .


It’s Sunday afternoon, Debbie is sitting on our newly refinished glider on the patio, reading, writing in her journal, enjoying the beautiful weather and watching our furry friends drop in for a corn treat (cf. previous post) . . .

when much to her surprise (and my delight) a Texas thread snake leptotyphlops dulcis appears on the patio, only to be promptly whacked by her handy sandal. We’ve seen these critters before and thought that they were baby snakes, but, this being a quiet Sunday afternoon, and with nothing more pressing to require my attention, my curiosity drew me to see if I could learn more about this creature. So if you are curious too, follow these links to learn a little more about the wonder of God’s creation (what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?)

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/epubs/eee_00002.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptotyphlops_dulcis

(Now that we know how beneficial they are, Debbie has agreed not to be so quick to whack the next one she sees [but the snake had better be quick to move on, or she might change her mind])

1 comment:

Aubree said...

very interesting! When I saw these in San Antonio, I always thought they were baby snakes, too! (Although I was not as brave as Debbie to stomp on them...I usually just squealed and ran the other way!)